Wednesday, October 1, 2008

31 for 21 Challenge

October is Down Syndrome Awareness month and I thought this challenge would be a great one to participate in. Here is what Tricia has to say about her 2nd Annual Challenge:

This is the one question I can be unambiguous about. I propose you do it in honor of Down Syndrome Awareness Month. One thing I can say certainly, is that writing--blogging specifically--has helped me in numerous ways as the mother of a child with Down syndrome. I value the people I have met, the friends I have made, and the information I have gathered on blogs. Wouldn't it be wonderful if new parents googled Down syndrome and our blogs came up? What a welcome wagon that would be!

But that doesn’t mean you HAVE to write about Down syndrome. I think it’s beneficial for folks to read about people who are affected by Down syndrome and see that our lives are just the same as anyone else’s.

I was 22 when I had Katya and I never thought my life would change so much in one day. I am so grateful for the wonderful opportunity we have to have Katya. She has taught me more in these last couple of years than I could have ever imagined. I worry, as any parent does, that people will judge Katya without taking the time to understand. My hope is that more people will take the time to understand before being quick to judge everyone, disabilities or not. I think one of the best ways to understand is by asking questions. I'd love to answer any questions anyone has about down syndrome. I don't know everything about it, but what I do know I'd be happy to share.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your baby girls are so cute! Thank you for sharing and helping promote Ds awareness!

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration Staci. The girls are beautiful. I couldn't think of better parents that Katya could have.

heather said...

It will be fun to follow everyone's posts this month! Maybe it will help raise awareness for us too! :)

Lena said...

You know Staci, Adam and I just were talking about what a wonderful family you have. I told him that it must be such a challenge to have a baby with Down Syndrome and especially the first baby when you are still learning the basics of motherhood. I forgot the exact words that Adam answered me in, but he said that you guys are the most deserving family that he knows to be able to raise this wonderful child of God in this world. I was so touched by his comment and I thought I'd share it with you. I love reading your blog and especially I love looking at the cute pictures of your girls. Katya and Cali are so beautiful and it makes me smile when I read about their day to day adventures.

jethrojones said...

Thanks Lena and Adam!

"Autie" said...

Staci....all I have to say is I "LOVE" those little girls...It's so much fun to read your blog because when I do see Katya and Cali I have an idea of what they have been up to...We are so blessed to be part of the world.. it's awesome!!! :)

"Autie" said...

Staci...

Thanks so much for all your blogging!!! I love that we are part of Katya and Cali's world... It's so much fun to read about what those sweet little girls are up to... Katya has such a tender heart and smile.. "Yes" she is up there with Nya!!! :) I love you guys...

Shara Vela said...

I'm a friend of Jeanne's I know what you mean about people judging your daughter. My son will ne 6 in November, and I was 19 when I found out he has Down Syndrome. I right now am struggleing with people at church because they look at him and say he can't do something when in reality they dont know what he is capable of doing. Stay strong and keep fighting to get what she needs.