Last night we were in Provo. Jethro had class and I was visiting my sister Megan. We knew it was supposed to snow and that there would only be 3-5 inches and it would blow through pretty quick. It started snowing when I headed out to get Jethro at school at 2. No biggie. We got to Provo just fine it snowed for awhile in Provo and then let up. One of Jethro's classmates arrived 2 hours late because the roads from Eagle Mountain were pretty bad. He told me to check and see how the roads were before we left Provo. I jumped on the good ol' internet and went straight to UDOT's website. I checked their "up-to-date" road conditions map and they said that the conditions were pretty good with a few spots in the 50 mph range but everything else faster than that. No problem. We'd be home in 40-45 minutes. We headed out and were just going great down the 15 until Pleasant Grove then BAM! Total traffic jam. What the heck!? UDOT said there was no problem. I thought that it would clear up. WRONG! 4 and a half hours later we finally got into Salt Lake. That's right, 4 and a half hours. The wind was blowing and there was snow, but I didn't think it was too bad. The traffic sure sucked. Thanks a lot UDOT for your "up-to-date" winter road conditions map. That's the last time I listen to you!

Staci failed to mention that I had a training (for a safe walking path for students to our school using UDOT software) webinar online on Tuesday night with UDOT. They piped the video through the internet, but didn't do the audio. I had to actually call in and listen to them instead of just plugging my headphones in. Well, the only time they broadcast the training is when I have class. So, I couldn't sit there on my cellphone all through class. I am just dumbfounded that they couldn't pipe the audio through with the video. It just doesn't make sense. I had to watch it, but with out any audio, the screencast was not only boring, but useless. Then, to top things off, they just emailed me and said that we can supposedly watch the training online at any time. Apparently they forgot to to mention that earlier.
1 comment:
I totally agree. This was completely avoidable in my opinion. Jarom (the classmate that was 2 hours late) never made it home last night. He ended up sleeping on someones couch last night in Saratoga because all the roads were closed into Eagle Mountain. Grr! He woke up at 6 and had to go back to school after driving until midnight. :( Happy Valentine's Day to us all. I'm glad you got home... but I'd be pretty irked too if it took that long to get home!
Post a Comment