Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wow. Small Conversation, Big Realizations

As I left work yesterday, I saw a guy named Jay, who teaches history at my school. To say hello, I said, "Well, Jay, another day." He responded with, "Another buck." Thinking he would understand what I meant as he is a fellow teacher, I quipped, "But just one buck, just one!" He said, "Jethro, how long you been teaching?" After I told this seasoned veteran of 20+ years that I have been teaching only two, he responded with a sage comment, "Jethro, don't ever complain about the money, because that is all you will ever think about and you will never be happy." I smiled and said that it was a good point. But then I realized, teachers here in Utah really do get paid poorly, and I mean bottom of the barrel. He does make a strike an interesting chord, though, and I must remember it. It is not all about the money, but I still need to support my family.

After having a day to think about that conversation, though, I have begun to realize again that I have been so blessed by the Lord. I certainly don't make a lot of money. In fact, according to Utah's Right to Know, I make...well, if you really want to know, you can go check it out. When you do the math on that, paying tithing first, realizing that taxes are taken out, then you add in rent, groceries, over-priced health insurance, and car payment and insurance, that doesn't leave us with very much each month to buy food, diapers, and other necessities. But, we have been very blessed. Katya gets SSI money from the government every month. I have been able to find easy, non-time consuming second jobs while I have been going to graduate school for the last two years. We always end up with just enough or a little extra. That is not because the legislature decided to give us a little extra pay, or the district "forgot" to pay us the full amount, or whatever. It is because the Lord is looking out for us. He finds ways to stretch that money and give us extra money. I know that it is because we pay our tithing first. The Lord blesses us for our sacrifice, and I am grateful that He does. We could not survive without His blessings.
It isn't about the money, but it is.

This time is very difficult for us because we don't make a lot, but we have never been happier. Making more money right now wouldn't make us happier. We are struggling and that is okay. We are making wise financial decisions right now to help us enjoy life later. It will be a struggle for a few more years. The Lord is not going to stop blessing us just because we caught Him in the act. He is going to continue to give us just enough to get by and be happy. He is the one who makes us happy. He is the one who blesses us. He is the one who makes everything worth it.

I thank Him for inspiring Jay to remind me about what really makes me happy. My faith and assurance and trust in God makes me happy. He has blessed me with the most beautiful and wonderful wife a body could ever ask for, and two amazing daughters that bring joy to my heart when they smile at me as I walk in the door at the end of a long day.

How can I not be grateful?

2 comments:

Reuel and Ana said...

Jethro and Staci
you are right on 60 years of paying tithing I have never missed a penny of it. family is the only thing worth it. that and religon. plus a good relationship with your wife. also a good education, so family is the only thing.
love
dad

Tiffany said...

I second everything you said. While I long for the day that when we actually have an income, I don't think it'll make me any more or less happy. I'm happy with where I am and with what I've been blessed with. I think it'll just make me less stressed about how we're going to get by!