Saturday, July 26, 2008

Grandpa Hawks

My wonderful Grandpa Hawks passed away last week. He was such a wonderful man and I'm so grateful that I was able to have him in my life. Unfortunately, we lived far away from him but were able to go to Washington to see him every couple of years. He also came down to visit quite a few times. I have so many great memories of him and the wonderful man that he is.

(**Disclaimer: Please don't hold my hair styles, clothing choices, or big glasses against me. It was the 80's and 90's after all. Not my best years.)


January 1986

He was a ceramic engineer by trade and did some marvelous work. He also spent some time in the military and did some farming/ranching of dairy cows (I hope my memories are right. If not, I'm sorry.) He was always so handy.

April 1986

I remember him coming to visit us when we lived in New Mexico. He helped my dad rip out the linoleum in our kitchen and replace it. I thought that was pretty cool. He was also really handy and could fix a lot. (In this next picture, I am the one on the far left and no I can see where Katya gets her cheesy smile from. She looks exactly like me when she smiles.)

May 1987

My grandpa introduced us to the fabulous t.v. show Gunsmoke. When he came to visit, he would bring all of his Gunsmoke tapes and I loved sitting and watching them with him. I still think that it is the best western show ever. He also loved to read westerns.

January 1994

When we would go visit him in Washington, we'd go to the coast and go clam digging. We would always have seafood when we were there. Maybe that's why I love it so much.

January 1994

I remember my grandpa and his truck. He had a camper on it and would travel and visit us with his truck. I can still picture it in my mind.

November 1994

We had family reunions a couple of times when I was younger with all my cousins. There was one particular time that I remember having the best roasted corn. So yummy. I loved the family reunions and it was always so great to see my grandpa. (My grandpa always looked so good no matter what his age. I hope I inherited some of those good genes.)

May 1996


December 1996

In this next picture, we came to Seattle to see my mom's parents and my grandpa drove 3 hours so that he could see us. I wish that we could have spent more time with him on this trip.

March 1999
I hadn't seen my grandpa for 3 years. We went to Montana for my aunt's wedding during my first year of college. It was so great to see him. He always has great stories about his childhood and his life to share.

September or October 2002

This next picture was taken during my Christmas break for my last Christmas home before I got married. My dad invited him to come and boy am I glad he did. It was so nice to see him and spend time with him. I remember him saying that he didn't need anything for Christmas because him coming to spend Christmas with us was a big enough gift. He was such a humble, wonderful man.

December 2003

I love this next picture. My grandpa loves the ocean and this was taken in Westport, Washington last summer. He is in his element. I am very grateful to my parents that they fly Katya and I out for the family reunion.

June 2007

My grandpa, my dad, and Katya. Katya seemed to really like my grandpa.I just love this picture.

June 2007

My grandpa has 4 great-grandchildren at the moment and Katya is the oldest. I'm so glad he could meet his first great-grandchild and that Katya could meet her great-grandpa. When she gets older I can show her this picture and tell her how wonderful a man he is.

June 2007

This is my dad's side of the family. There are a few missing. It had been probably been 10 or more years since the last family reunion so it was really nice to see everybody. My grandpa really enjoyed seeing everyone also.

June 2007

This is by far my favorite picture of my and my grandpa. I am giving him a kiss on the cheek. My grandpa is so sweet and loving. He never judged us. Even though he wasn't a member of the Church, he never spoke ill about it or us. He supported my dad in his endeavors. I am happy to call myself his granddaughter and proud to be part of the legacy he leaves. I love you Grandpa.

January 1986

3 comments:

Reuel and Ana said...

what a nice tribute to your grandfather. he looks like a very loving man. plus it was nice to see all you girls as little girls. your glasses are cute.

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to see what great man your Grandpa was.
I remember you and I had similar glasses!

Tina said...

Nothing greater can be said of a person, than that he was a loving parent/grandparent. What a blessing to have him in your life not only for this time, but for always.