Monday, July 28, 2008

Lessons from Gardening Part 1

Having a garden these past 2 summers has taught me a lot. We had a garden growing up, but I blocked out most of what I learned because I was a kid and thought that there were much better things to do than have a garden. Paul has been an excellent teacher and has really taught us all it takes to take care of a yard and garden. I am very grateful for that. I have learned quite a few lessons from this whole experience.
  1. There is never anything called "too much weeding".
  2. You have too water all the time-like every day- if yo want things to survive.
  3. Taking one day off puts you 3 days behind.
  4. Lots of water+Sun= Crazy big plants that produce a lot of fruits/vegetables
  5. Suckering tomatoes makes them look less crazy and they produce better
  6. There are millions of kinds of squash.
  7. When you plant carrots, mix them with radish seeds and sand. They act as good seperators and you end up with wonderful carrots.
  8. Cherry and Grape tomatoes are different.
  9. There are such things as early corn and late corn.
  10. Birds eat peas.
  11. Tomato cages are a must.
  12. When tomatoes are green and they have an unsightly brown spot growing on the bottom it's because they lack calcium. Put eggshells at the base of the plant and that will give them calcium.
  13. You can't pick rhubarb the first year it's planted.
  14. Hubbard squash are really good.
  15. Lemon cucumbers are cool.
  16. Lots and lots of tomato varieties.
  17. You can't pick asparagus the first year it's planted.
  18. Fertilize the strawberries.
  19. Don't let weeds go to seed else you will have a really big mess.
  20. Spend time out there every day.
  21. You have to pick grapes at the right time. If you wait too long they will start to turn sour.
  22. 45 tomato plants gives you tons and tons of tomatoes that you have no idea what to do with.
  23. Need to pick zucchini and yellow squash before it gets to big.
  24. Tilling is vital.
  25. Grow the plants (like tomatoes, squash, peppers) before you plant them. They have a better chance of surviving.
  26. Grilled squash tastes so good.
  27. In the fall, trim raspberries all the way down, almost to the ground

3 comments:

Janae said...

Wow, I didn't know all those. I am going to use some of those tips, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Apropos having oodles and oodles of tomatoes that you don't know what to do with: can them! Or jar them since you can do that at home. Tomatoes, olive oil, lid on, heat, and voilĂ ! Then you can enjoy them the whole winter, too.

Tiffany said...

Unfortunately, we've learned some of these harder lessons too! But I'm going to make sure Tim reads this so our garden can keep getting better year by year.