Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Favorite Canning Book

Since I have become addicted to canning this summer, I had to find more and more yummy recipes for canning. I like to can things that are completely done so I don't have to add a lot of things too it. I like quick and easy meals. I checked out a bunch of different canning books from the library, which is where I found my favorite. Check out this beauty:


448 pages of pure joy and mouth-watering recipes. (Okay, so maybe some don't sound very appetizing, but most are.) I liked it so much that I just bought my own copy from Amazon since I have reached my limit on renewing it from the library. It's well worth it though.

My favorite things about this book:
  1. Millions of recipes. (Tons of jam and jelly recipes using different forms of pectin. They even have freezer jam recipes.)
  2. Tells you how to can if you have no idea.
  3. Chart that tells you how much processing time to ad based on your altitude. (I can never remember so I always need to look.)
  4. Charts in the back to tell you how much produce you need for the recipes. (If it calls for a certain amount of cups, you can check in the back and it'll tell you how many pounds that is.) It makes prepping and getting the produce so much easier and you don't have to play guessing games.
  5. There are tips throughout the various sections about canning and certain recipes.
  6. Groups the recipes into sections (i.e. jellies, jams, salsa, chutneys, etc.) and tells you a little about what they are. It's nice to know the difference in things so I don't have to Goggle it to find out.
  7. Easy to follow instructions.
  8. Glossary of canning terms in the back.
  9. Most importantly- color pictures.
I sure do love this book. You should check it out.

No comments: