Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sometimes I feel like I live on a farm... (Part 6)

As it's almost time for the frost to hit, I just can't bear to see all the garden die. I'm trying to keep as much of it as I can, but it seems so hard to keep up with. How do you pick and eat 40 tomato plants worth of mass producing tomatoes? What do you do with 10 jalapeno plants when you don't even like spicy things? I decided to whip out my canner and jars and make things I don't eat, but Jethro does.

6 jars of Jalapeno Salsa.

6 cups of finely diced jalapenos- That was like 30 or so jalapenos and a couple
of green chili's from a garden. I could smell the spiciness in the air.

3 jars of BBQ Sauce


Even though I don't want to waste any vegetables so I try all this recipes, I realized that some things are just easier to buy. I had to get 16 cups of tomato puree among a bunch of other ingredients and then it had to cook in various stages for 1 hour and 45 minutes and all I got was 3 jars. That was a lot of energy on not very much. I also learned to read the directions carefully. Instead of doing toe sauce like the directions said, I dumped all the stuff in together and then turned it on. At least I followed the part where it said it needs to cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Next time I think I'll go to the store and get BBQ sauce and just bottle the tomatoes whole.

4 comments:

Nicole Hunter said...

That salsa looks so yummy! AND very spicy! My mouth is watering just looking at all those jalapeno seeds! :)

Haley and Jon said...

Staci, you are awesome. I wish I had a garden to be able to can all these things. Everything you madelooks like it turned out great. If you get sick of any of you things, just send them on over to me. ;)

Tiffany said...

40 tomato plants! I was wondering why our tomato supply seemed so meager compared to yours - I see why now. Good luck trying to pick and use as many as you can. I'd offer to take some, but I don't know when we'd come up to get them, but I'm sure neighbors would take some.

Scrap Happy Mommy of 2 said...

Seriously, you ARE Super Woman! Where do you hide your cape? And just how big is your garden???!!!